Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Support

Post a message here if you are having trouble with a particular feature of your Amulet voice remote, or if you have a suggestion for features to include in a future software release.
  • Page:

TOPIC: IR with no line-of-sight?

IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #353

• NooK
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys

I am dying to buy a amulet remote however I am still in doubt about one thing so I thought maybe someone can help me with an answer before I order one.

The thing I am wondering about is the IR functionality. Basically I have my PC and my TV hooked to each other via HDMI and they are each sitting in one side of the room. I'd like to be able to use the normal remote buttons (Besides voice control) to steer my media center however I am not certain if there is anyway the Amulet remote buttons can work without direct line-of-sight to the IR receiver.

Is it possible to have some sort of IR receiver which can be connected to the PC at the back of the room and not require line-of-sight so I can control my media center by pointing the control at the TV (Or anywhere else for that matter)?

Regards
NooK
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #361

• mphac@rcn.com
I have a similar setup, and am using an IR receiver connected to a USB port on the PC; I bought it from Amulet along with their remote. The receiver cable is only about 3' long , but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a longer cable. You can buy a 15 foot USB extension cable for about $2.50.

Re: IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #365

• NooK
  • Fresh Boarder
Well actually in my case I will need a 30 foot long cable which is really annoying. Can I suggest the industry just kills IR off the face of the planet please :)

It's such a dumb technology for this day and age.

Now I'll go rethink this buy as I am not so sure I wanna have a cable dragged through half the room, thank for the answer though.

Re:IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #366

• NooK
  • Fresh Boarder
Actually since I am on the topic, would the IR receiver work with a 30 feet long USB extension cable?

Anybody can help me figure it out?

Re: IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #367

• conor
  • Administrator
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it wrote:
The receiver cable is only about 3' long , but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with a longer cable. You can buy a 15 foot USB extension cable for about $2.50.

What he said! Yes the cable on our IR receiver is too short, but you could get a longer one, or a USB extension cable. Our hardware engineer also mentioned that the IR output from our remote is quite strong and can often bounce around sufficiently to operate equipment all around the room, but obviously you'd be taking a chance with that.

Re: IR with no line-of-sight? 6 years 8 months ago #368

• conor
  • Administrator
NooK wrote:
Can I suggest the industry just kills IR off the face of the planet please :)

It's happening. There are wireless technologies, in particular those related to zigbee, that will be appearing very soon.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds