Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General Support

Post a message here if you are having trouble with a particular feature of your Amulet voice remote, or if you have a suggestion for features to include in a future software release.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Uh Oh HELP Please!

Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #570

• Ben
Yesterday my remote was working fine, but today for some reason none of the Media Center buttons were working. I though it was something to do with the Program part and when I Uninstalled it and re installed it from the disc it's telling me I only have the evaluation copy and have 30 minutes to use it.

What should I do?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #572

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Ben,

A couple of things spring to mind. First off, have you recently re-organised how you connect USB devices to your PC? Do you have things connected through a powered hub which may have lost power or otherwise failed?

Amulet uses the USB dongle to check whether or not the software is properly licensed, but receives button presses through a separately attached IR dongle (or sometimes an integrated receiver on the front panel of your PC). The USB dongle operates even when the remote isn't present. So, if you aren't receiving IR button presses and the dongle isn't being detected, it strongly suggests a problem with the USB subsystem on your PC.

If there's no obvious explanation after checking the above, then I'd check the following:
  • Does the "Amulet Devices Voice Remote" show up under "Sound, Vido & Game Controllers" in Device Manager? If not, the dongle isn't being recognized. If you have an unidentified device, you could try deleting it and telling Device Manager to "Scan for Hardware Changes" on the Action menu, to force it to be re-detected. The Amulet hardware should be detected automatically; no special drivers are needed, and in particular, there is no software from the CD needed at this point.
  • Does the Amulet Microphone symbol light a solid red when you lift the remote, or is it flashing? If flashing, it indicates the remote is not linking correctly to the dongle. While this can occur if the two become unpaired for some reason, it's much more likely that the dongle is simply not active, e.g. unplugged or attached to an inactive USB port.
  • Is there a blue light visible on the Amulet USB dongle when attached to the PC? It should be either flashing (when remote is asleep) or solid blue when the remote is awake. If it's not visible at all, there is an issue with the remote.
  • If you plug the USB dongle into another PC or laptop, is it detected correctly?
  • Are there any buttons stuck on the Amulet remote? For example, do you see it flashing blue as usual when you press & release individual buttons, or do you see a different colour, or maybe no colour at all?
Depending on the answers to the above, we can decide what to do next.

Eddy
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #573

• ben
Eddy, Thank you for the steps for trouble shooting. Yes it looks like there was some sort of power failer perhaps with the USB hub. I definatley paniced for a moment. Getting the remote was hard because I live in Canada, I had to go through a crazy shipping process.
I un installed the program again and then made sure the USB was secure in the port and then Re installed again, this time the program install properly. As for why my remote buttons stoppped wrking, I believe that it was the ?USB port as well. I could tell the remote was sending signals because my other IR Sensors were flashing during button press. Needless to say I got it working again. My HTPC kind of looks like a really drunk R2 Unit (which is why I hide it in the closet).
thank you again.

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #587

• ben
Hi eddy,

My remote volume and back buttons don't seem to be responding. They were working yester day, I'm not sure what changed.

Perhaps you might have an idea.

Thanks again

Ben

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #588

• ben
I acually just test and none of the media keys are working. THe play tec doesn't want to work either

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #589

• eddy
  • Administrator
Hmmm... are any of the buttons working (e.g. number buttons or arrow keys)?

Presumably your remote has been charged recently? You can try it out while plugged into a USB charging cable to confirm it's not just a low battery issue.

Any chance one of your buttons has become stuck?

Eddy

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #590

• ben
I charged it while I was at work today, I thought the same thing. No buttons seem to be stuck. I tried to un plug the usb. It was working last night. Seems wierd. There was an update from windows and I even tried to restore my pc, didn't work.

The arrow keys work, and the "ok" bottoms work fine. It seems to be

back
Play
rec
volume
skip
fwd
etc

Channels work fine.

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #591

• eddy
  • Administrator
It sounds as if virtual keystrokes (corresponding to arrow keys, numbers, etc., keys that have an equivalent on most computer keyboards) are getting through okay while application keystrokes (play, pause, skip, etc.) are not.

The remote itself doesn't make any particular distinction between those, so it sounds like it might be a configuration issue on the PC, on your IR driver, or even Media Center. Hard to say for sure without knowing if you've made any config changes that might be related.

Can you download XBMC's useful ShowKey.exe utility from xbmcmce.sourceforge.net and run it, then press various remote buttons while the ShowKey window is active? You'll see various messages indicating what sort of keystroke was received, which will tell you if the remote is transmitting correctly at least.

Also, if you have access to a normal Media Center remote (no voice!), try the same experiment with that and see if you get similar results.

You can often force the IR driver to reset its registry entries etc back to normal by going into Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Human Interface Devices and uninstalling the entry for Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver, then choosing Action Menu -> Scan for Hardware Changes to reinstall it.

Let us know how you get on.

Eddy

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #592

• ben
Thank you. Yes it definatley has something to do with the drivers. I tried un installing the ir tansmitter and then re install drivers. No avail. I ended up adding intellimote program. To be honest it's not that great. I can use media center controls ok but now I can't choose to log in from the log in screen. I think it's because I stupidly ran a control command on system32 folder...Doh! I should have known better. Anyway, the voice still works flawlessly, so I'll figure the rest out. Do you know where in the registry the key commands for media center are stored? That may help, if I can edit them..
Thanks again eddy.

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 7 months ago #593

• eddy
  • Administrator
Hi Ben,

Before you jump into editing the registry entries for the IR driver (!), can you do a quick check with the ShowKey utility I mentioned and see if that is showing any activity for the Play, Pause, etc. buttons when you press them on the remote?

Also, have you used the learning IR on the Amulet to teach it any keys from other remotes?

Eddy

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 6 months ago #608

• ben
I tested the remote and two others with the xbmc utility you mentioned. All remotes are missing the use of all media keys, the volume including "mute". I tried reinstalling drivers from my IR reciver again. But still nothing. If I use itellimote software I can match all the keys to use in WMC, but the other buttons ( VOice profile, sleep and the coloured buttons on the bottom of the remote) refuse to work. DO you know of a way to re-map the media buttons on the remote?
Thanks again for your time.

Ben

Re: Uh Oh HELP Please! 5 years 6 months ago #611

• eddy
  • Administrator
I tested the remote and two others with the xbmc utility you mentioned. All remotes are missing the use of all media keys, the volume including "mute". I tried reinstalling drivers from my IR reciver again. But still nothing.
This is a tough one. At this point, I would be starting to check registry entries and compare them with equivalent registry entries on another system where the transport keys are recognized correctly.

Try exporting everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\HidIr to a Windows 95-compatible registry text file on each system, then compare them to see if there are any entries different.

Eddy
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds