Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ceton users / EPG search

Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #177

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Ceton InfiniTV users, one of the features we are keen to get feedback on is the new electronic program guide voice search.

This extract from the release notes describes how the feature works:
Guide Search
Amulet now indexes the program guide, and allows you to search for upcoming programs through voice. Matching programs are displayed on a new Search Results page where you can find out more details about a program, choose to record it, or simply navigate to the program's listing within the TV guide.

These commands are available to use with the search feature:

SHOW PROGRAM name
Searches for all programs exactly matching name in the guide. If the guide is currently open, jumps to the first match; otherwise, opens the search results page and lists all matches.

FIND PROGRAM name
FIND name
Similar to SHOW PROGRAM, above, but always shows the search results page.

SEARCH PROGRAM name
SEARCH name
Carries out a general search in the guide. Partial matches and sound-alikes are included, so a much larger number of search results may result. This is a good command to use if you're not exactly sure of the name of the program you are searching for.

SEARCH GENRE keyword
SEARCH CATEGORY keyword
SEARCH KEYWORD keyword
These commands all do the same thing, which is to list all programs that are categorised under the given keyword. You will see keywords listed in program descriptions as you navigate around the search results; the exact keywords recognised vary according to the guide data & provider. Here are a few to get you started:

animation, children, comedy, documentary, drama, film, football, news, romance, science, sports, travel, western
The sorts of things we'd like you to check are:
  • If you select an item from search results, does the EPG navigation always take you to the correct point in the guide?
  • Are the search results accurate (i.e. do they match what you asked for)?
  • Are there programs that you can't seem to search for, even though they are listed in the EPG?
  • Can you reliably navigate directly to channel names by voice, e.g. Watch Channel Number xxx or Watch Channel name?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #183

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Does the software index the full channel name (e.g. UniversalHD, usually abbreviated as UHD)? Having the Ceton installed means I have a ton of channels available but only know the numbers for a few, so the killer feature here is the ability to speak the name of a channel and have the guide automatically find it for me. However, I'm having some trouble executing this, 'SHOW CHANNEL ESPNHD' seems to work but it appears to be very hit or miss for most channels.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #186

• eddy
  • Administrator
Hi Sid,

Amulet generally goes with the channel names as displayed in the Media Center guide (i.e. alongside the channel number).

If you look at the file "C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\TVChannels.txt" you can see the name Amulet has assigned to each channel number (the last name on each line is the vocabulary name Amulet recognizes for WATCH CHANNEL / etc commands).

You can change the default vocabulary name used by Amulet by editing the file TVChannelMap.txt in the same folder (copy it from TVChannelMap-Sample.txt if it doesn't already exist). In this mapping file, you specify a channel name or number on the left and the new name you want to refer to it on the right.

After editing, issue the voice command UPDATE CHANNEL NAMES to get Amulet to refresh its vocabulary with the new names.

Now, we don't expect users to have to go off editing text files to get the results they want; this is more of a fallback for occasions when Amulet's channel detection doesn't quite match what the user expects.

I'm particularly interested to hear about entries in TVChannels.txt that do not match what you think they should be.

Another useful step would be to enable debugging, and edit the master configuration file "C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\Amulet.ini", find the [Guide] section and set PrintChannels=Yes. Then restart Media Center, and you should see a series of entries in the debug log from [Amulet_EPG] listing the channel names it has detected. These may be slightly different to those in TVChannels.txt -- if so, please let me know!

(One of the reasons we're keen to get so many Ceton users involved in this beta test is to get as much coverage as possible across all the different cable channel lineups that are in use around the US.)

Thanks,

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by eddy. Reason: Fixed a typo: correct command is UPDATE CHANNEL NAMES, not NUMBERS

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #188

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
I'm also having troubles with my HD channels. It seems like the remote doesn't recognized easily the phrase " H D ". If I say Go To Channel Discovery H D, it takes me to just the regular Discovery channel, not the HD channel.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #189

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
cjbrown80 wrote:
I'm also having troubles with my HD channels. It seems like the remote doesn't recognized easily the phrase " H D ". If I say Go To Channel Discovery H D, it takes me to just the regular Discovery channel, not the HD channel.

Yes, I noticed this happening frequently as well when I had it working.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #193

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Hey Eddy,

I'm gonna do a TVChannelMap file for myself here. I'll start with the HD channels since that's all I watch. Once I get it working, I'll post it here. I realize that it'll probably only be valid for my service provider in my area and that got me thinking. During the Ceton setup WMC asks for your zip code and then allows you to select your service provider from a list. Obviously it's using that data to get you the correct channel listing and guide information. I'd like to believe also that you guys could use this same system to push a TVChannelMap file through to the users, assuming you guys compile similar files for different providers for all the different markets.

Next question, is it possible for a channel to respond to two different spoken names. For example, I'm in Pittsburgh (FiOS) and our CBS station here is KDKA. I'd like to be able to say CBS HD or KDKA HD and have it take me to channel 502. Is this possible?

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #195

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
cjbrown80 wrote:
Hey Eddy,

I'm gonna do a TVChannelMap file for myself here. I'll start with the HD channels since that's all I watch. Once I get it working, I'll post it here. I realize that it'll probably only be valid for my service provider in my area and that got me thinking. During the Ceton setup WMC asks for your zip code and then allows you to select your service provider from a list. Obviously it's using that data to get you the correct channel listing and guide information. I'd like to believe also that you guys could use this same system to push a TVChannelMap file through to the users, assuming you guys compile similar files for different providers for all the different markets.

Next question, is it possible for a channel to respond to two different spoken names. For example, I'm in Pittsburgh (FiOS) and our CBS station here is KDKA. I'd like to be able to say CBS HD or KDKA HD and have it take me to channel 502. Is this possible?

The remote gets its channel information from the MC channel map, so it should be easy to implement, if it hasn't been already.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #196

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
eddy wrote:
After editing, issue the voice command UPDATE CHANNEL NUMBERS to get Amulet to refresh its vocabulary with the new names.

This command does not work at all on my system. How else can I make it update the channel number file?

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #200

• eddy
  • Administrator
cjbrown80 wrote:
After editing, issue the voice command UPDATE CHANNEL NUMBERS to get Amulet to refresh its vocabulary with the new names.
This command does not work at all on my system. How else can I make it update the channel number file?
Oops -- slip of the keyboard; the correct command is UPDATE CHANNEL NAMES (I've fixed the original post now). Sorry for the confusion.

Amulet automatically updates everything each night as part of its nightly scan, and you can also force a scan by running Amulet.Scanner directly at a DOS prompt with the required options. For example:
"C:\Program Files\Amulet Devices\Amulet.Scanner.exe" /channel
will update the command vocabulary.

We don't currently allow multiple aliases for channel names, but it's a good idea and one that we will look at adding for the next beta release.

Amulet has access to all the data in the program guide and channel lineup, but this can often be ambiguous. For example, a single service lineup may apply to several different channels (case in point being Discovery vs Discovery HD, for example). If we automatically alias a service name to a channel name, what is the best way to choose which channel to select, if there are multiple options to choose from?

Also, it would be helpful if you could check whether Amulet is failing to recognize the command "Watch Channel Discovery HD" (and instead just matching "Watch Channel Discovery") or if it is recognizing the command correctly but going to the wrong channel regardless.

The easiest way to determine this is to view the debug log, though you can also turn on Speech Logging under Settings -> Diagnostics and then look in the folder "C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\Speech Log" which records a .WAV file with the name of the recognized command for everything you say. (Don't leave speech logging on for too long, or it will soak up your disk space at quite a rate...)

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by eddy.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #203

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Looks like only short names are listed, such as:

707,WABCDT,WABCDT,WABCDT

Ideally ABCHD is listed here by default (WMC knows it is ABCHD, so this info should be available somewhere)

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #204

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
To add to this, the remote does quite a good job of channels with station IDs that are the same as the name (e.g. TCMHD, ESPNHD, FXHD, and so on).

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #205

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
I agree, it has no problem with those channels.

eddy wrote:
If we automatically alias a service name to a channel name, what is the best way to choose which channel to select, if there are multiple options to choose from?
As for this, if I understood the question right, I think there's a few ways to do this. Asking for more data from the user, i.e. a popup window listing the possible selections, maybe the voice asking which one, or instead of requiring more input, just use the viewing history. Like if I only ever watch Discovery HD, maybe the software should assume that I don't want to watch Bear Grylls in standard definition tonight for no apparent reason. You could also just assume if the systems default screen res is 1920 x 1080 that the viewer would want HD all the time, if possible. And if for some reason they did want the standard def channel (which I could only think if they were trying to save hard drive space recording the program, but people who have Ceton cards aren't trying to save space, I can guarantee that, (I have 12TB)) then they could just change it manually. Now if it was a channel like Lifetime vs. Lifetime Movie Network, that would require further input from the user.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #215

• eddy
  • Administrator
Chris, I like the idea of going with the most recently viewed channel, if there are several to choose from; I'll see what we can do.

sid wrote:

707,WABCDT,WABCDT,WABCDT

Ideally ABCHD is listed here by default (WMC knows it is ABCHD, so this info should be available somewhere)
Sid, where do you see ABCHD mentioned within WMC? Is it on the main guide page, or only when you dig down into the channel editor?

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by eddy.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #219

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
eddy wrote:
Chris, I like the idea of going with the most recently viewed channel, if there are several to choose from; I'll see what we can do.

sid wrote:

707,WABCDT,WABCDT,WABCDT

Sid, where do you see ABCHD mentioned within WMC? Is it on the main guide page, or only when you dig down into the channel editor?

Eddy

ABCHD is actually a poor example, since WMC does not explicitly say 'ABC HD' and instead only shows ABC Affiliate when I go into the channel editor. I use 'My Channel Logos' to assign logos to the channels, so it put the appropriate logo there.

A better example is 'The History Channel HD' which is only listed as 740,HSTRYHD,HSTRYHD,HSTRYHD while MC explicitly lists it as 'The History Channel" in the guide.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #223

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
A better example is 'The History Channel HD' which is only listed as 740,HSTRYHD,HSTRYHD,HSTRYHD while MC explicitly lists it as 'The History Channel" in the guide.
Can you edit C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\Amulet.ini and scroll down to the [Guide] section, then add the line PrintChannels=Yes.

Restart Media Center, and around 60 seconds after startup, the debug log should show a list of channels derived from the guide, tagged as [Amulet_EPG]. It would be very useful to know if this list includes the full name of The History Channel.

Eddy

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #225

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Not seeing the '[Guide]' section in the Amulet.ini. Should I just make one?
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by sid.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #227

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
I only see the [Guide] section in the Amulet-Sample.ini

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #229

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Added both [Guide] and the PrintChannels line in to the Amulet.ini and it did work. The log lists channel 740 as 'History HD'.

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #234

• eddy
  • Administrator
Okay, great! That's very helpful. The EPG search uses a slightly different method of finding the program names to the main Amulet software, and it looks like it's doing a better job of identifying the names on your system.

The PrintChannels lines look like this:
223: Bio HD -> Biography Channel [!MCService!750971]
Is the correct History channel name to the right of the arrow on your listing?

Eddy

Re:Ceton users / EPG search 6 years 9 months ago #235

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, this matches what it says in the basic guide view:

740: HSTRYHD -> History HD [!MCService!177450823]

It would be nice if the software took you to the HD channel by default if both and SD and HD channel exist. I think most have the same name, except with HD appended at the end. I assume most Ceton card owners, like myself, watch very little SDTV.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds