Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Voice commands not working at all

Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #184

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Installed the dongle/software and started immediately testing out the voice commands with the remote and everything seemed to be working fine. Came back to my system an hour or so later and no voice commands appear to work. The remote records my voice fine (also shows 3-4 green bars during speech within the Amulet MCE app) but does not respond to any commands, even for simple commands such as 'go to TV guide' that worked initially. Tried restarting the machine and MC multiple times. System is running Win7 x64. Amulet Monitor/Talker are both running the background (tried rebooting them already anyway).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #187

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
This sounds like something has broken inside Amulet.Background, the Media Center background application that carries out the actual speech recognition. (The green level meter runs on a separate thread that is independent of Amulet.Background).

Can you check the file "C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\AmuletErrors.txt", if it exists, and see if it contains anything that looks relevant?

Also, I've just posted a sticky thread describing how to create debug logs here -- it would be good to get a debug trace from your system starting up, since it will almost certainly indicate what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #201

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Enabled debugging and all of a sudden everything works. Strange, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #206

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Decided to play around with settings and change the voice to Microsoft Anna and now everything is broken again. Switching it back didnt fix it so I've attached the error log and will attach the debug log as well. This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #207

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Here is the debug log.

edit: Looks like this didn't get attached so I've attached a zip of logs from yesterday and today. It worked briefly this morning but commands no longer work. No idea what's going on. This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by sid.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #230

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
Here is the debug log.

edit: Looks like this didn't get attached so I've attached a zip of logs from yesterday and today. It worked briefly this morning but commands no longer work. No idea what's going on. This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Thanks for the files Sid, which I've now finished digesting. I'm guessing it's working again for you from reading some of your other posts?

There seem to be two separate issues. The stoppage yesterday was caused by something in the search results giving the speech engine indigestion, apparently caused by a Search on Law & Order -- would be interesting to see if the same thing happens again if you repeat the search.

Separately, the Talker component that speaks back to you seems to be encountering sporadic audio errors. This may possibly mean that you're not hearing voice responses to commands when you should be, or it may be benign.

If you manage to break the recognizer with a search result again, can you send me a zip with the contents of C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\EPG? This will include the broken search results file, and I'll hopefully be able to figure out what is causing the issue.

Thanks,

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #233

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Sure enough, searching for Law and Order broke it again though it did show the Amulet page with some search results. Is this supposed to search for all Law and Order spinoffs as well? Because all it showed were 2 instances of shows that were exactly titled "Law & Order" on some obscure channel.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by sid.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #236

• eddy
  • Administrator
The SHOW and FIND commands look for exact matches on the program title; the SEARCH command allows partial matches. So, SEARCH FOR LAW AND ORDER should include all the spin-offs within the search results.

Good that you were able to reproduce the problem - if you can get me the EPG log files, I'll see if I can use them to do the same thing here.
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #237

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
eddy wrote:
The SHOW and FIND commands look for exact matches on the program title; the SEARCH command allows partial matches. So, SEARCH FOR LAW AND ORDER should include all the spin-offs within the search results.

Good that you were able to reproduce the problem - if you can get me the log files, I'll see if I can use them to do the same thing here.

Having a hard time attaching the zip of the EPG files, the forum keeps kicking me out the upload and saying it failed (perhaps because it's ~3.5MB). Attached is a zip of just the GuideSearchResults file, will that suffice? This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #240

• eddy
  • Administrator
It would be really helpful to get the full set of guide files.

Can you try the Report a Bug option on the Amulet Desktop menu, and tick the "include media index files" option at the bottom? In the bug report, describe it as "EPG Search files for Eddy" and I'll be able to pull them from our bug database when they arrive.

(Nothing too obvious in the search results file on its own, but it cross-references back into the larger indexes).

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #242

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Great, doing that now.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #273

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Eddy,
I just reported a log file. After pausing a show, the play program and continue voice commands did not work. Another thing, should I be hearing a voice confirmation every time I say something? Because I definitely am not. I think the Talker is only working for some commands or only for the first few minutes after starting WMC. Maybe this log file will show that. Dunno.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 7 months ago #299

• eddy
  • Administrator
cjbrown80 wrote:
I just reported a log file. After pausing a show, the play program and continue voice commands did not work. Another thing, should I be hearing a voice confirmation every time I say something? Because I definitely am not. I think the Talker is only working for some commands or only for the first few minutes after starting WMC. Maybe this log file will show that. Dunno.
Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. You should hear a voice confirmation for most commands you issue to Amulet, assuming you have not changed the "Voice Responses" option on the Talker pager in Amulet Settings. (From the Amulet.ini configuration in the log file you reported, this setting is set to the default Normal value on your system.)

So, something odd is going on with Talker on your system. If you suspect voice responds have stopped, do a quick "What Time Is It?" command which should always yield a response even when voice responses are disabled.

If that doesn't work, minimise Media Center and check the desktop Volume control applet, where individual sliders for each application are shown. Check and see if the setting for Amulet.Talker has been lowered or muted. (You may need to make the volume window wider to see all the sliders.) Also, with the volume window visible, repeat the "What Time is It?" command and see if the Talker volume slider moves in response.

Presumably other media center sounds are playing fine, e.g. the normal sound effects while moving around the Media Center interface?

Finally, if during normal use you become aware that voice responses seem to have stopped, it would be useful to check the debug log and see what the last command that you remember hearing a voice response for was - the debug log will show each command being recognized and any voice response issued.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #306

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Eddy - did you have a chance to review my logs? I still am having some issues with the voice commands just not working randomly, not sure what is triggering it.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #317

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
Eddy - did you have a chance to review my logs? I still am having some issues with the voice commands just not working randomly, not sure what is triggering it.
We have looked at the logs, but unfortunately, they haven't shed any light on this particular issue.

Can you turn on the Speech Logging option under Settings / Diagnostics for a while, and after you get some failed recognitions, check the folder C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\SpeechLog, where you will find WAV files corresponding to what you said, and named according to what was recognized.

If something isn't recognized at all, it won't get stored here; what may help is to review the audio associated with commands that _were_ recognized, but with a pretty low confidence level (e.g. 60-70%).

I'm wondering if there may be something in your home environment that is interfering with the voice radio link in some way; if so, it will be audible on the WAV files.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #320

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Past couple of days I've had HUGE log files (~12mb), lots of lines saying "Waiting for Grammar SearchProgram to finish loading so we can unload it...." in succession.

It does not appear to be responding to my speech commands at all at the moment.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by sid.

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #322

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
Past couple of days I've had HUGE log files (~12mb), lots of lines saying "Waiting for Grammar SearchProgram to finish loading so we can unload it...." in succession.

It does not appear to be responding to my speech commands at all at the moment.
The SearchProgram Grammar is built from the current contents of the EPG. Can you do another bug report with full media files attached, since it sounds like some program name in the EPG may be tripping things up. (Only the two most recent log files will be included, and they compress well, so the zip size should be a lot smaller than 12 MB.)

In the meantime, if you turn off the "Program Guide Search" in Amulet Settings / Diagnostics, Amulet will stop indexing the programs in the guide by name, and the guide Search/Find commands will no longer work, but it may get everything else back to normal for you.

From similar reports from a couple of others, the common thread here seems to be very large numbers of channels & programs -- exactly why we were keen to recruit Ceton users as part of the beta program :-) Hopefully the new log file and associated index files will allow us to reproduce the same scenario in our lab.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #332

• dcrupi
  • Junior Boarder
Guy's,

I don't want to cut in on someone else's thread, but I thought you should know I am experiencing the same problem with the talker stopping after the first several replies. However, it is not consistent. What is time seems to always work, however, responses to play seems to be one of the ones that stops.

Dennis

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #333

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Eddy - I sent the bug report in.

dcrupi - Perhaps check you logs as well to see if there is anything of interest in there?

Re:Voice commands not working at all 6 years 6 months ago #335

• dcrupi
  • Junior Boarder
dcrupi - Perhaps check you logs as well to see if there is anything of interest in there?[/quote]

Will do.

I experienced the voice commands not working tonight, however, I can not get the bug report to work.

Dennis
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds