Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two things I noticed immediately

Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #190

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Hey guys,

I'm very impressed with the product physically. Nice design and layout.

First thing I noticed was that I had Media Center open while running the software installation. After completion the remote wouldn't work until I restarted WMC. I realize the installer prompted me to start WMC at the end, but it really should close WMC automatically at the begining of install to make this more seamless.

Second thing, no offense to the gentleman in the demo videos, but his Irish accent rates about an 8 on the Annoying Accents Scale (between the 7 of a deep southern drawl and the 10 of the new england/boston accent). I've had a good deal of experience in my career with psycho-acoustic phenomenon, and irritating accents are very high on a list of things that your brain will immediately start to associate with an unpleasureable experience. Just saying, maybe re-do those videos with a pro voice actor, (they're usually not that expensive for a project like this) or at least someone with a neutral tone and lack of accent.

Also, it should be more clear that the IR dongle is needed for this remote on the web site. I almost didn't buy it. Has anyone bought the remote without it and been irritated they had to buy another item to make it fully functional? You should also make it more clear in the setup guide that the remote has the IR command learning ability. I thought it did, but when I installed it there was no mention of those functions in the quick start guide and I got real nervous that I'd bought a remote that couldn't learn the very few, yet essential commands to control my A/V receiver. It was only after mucking around with the .pdf user guide that I confirmed that feature.

I'm a jump right in and start using without reading the instructions type of guy, so if any of this info was clearly available and I missed it... apologies, but the Irish accent needs to go for sure.

I'll be back with more soon,
Thanks,
Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #191

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
I had read reviews which said it was capable of learning but I agree that it is not readily apparent until you start reading the manual.

I'm also having issues with the learning capabilities. I tried to program the volume buttons to control my receiver and while the remote indicates that it is learning the codes ok, it still transmits codes for MC volume control instead of my receiver. The TV power button appears to work ok though after programming.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #192

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
My volume learned fine the first try and is working properly. My receiver uses separate commands for power on and off so the TV power button can only function as one of those and I'm using the red modifier button for the other. Kind of annoying, but not the worst thing about my HK AVR.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #198

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the comments Chris -- we'll definitely take them onboard.

Re Media Center closing down automatically, I'd have bet good money we did this already, but having just checked our installer code, I see that we actually don't. We do shutdown a number of other Amulet-related processes and tasks, but not ehShell itself. I'll look at adding this for the next release, since it is what a reasonable user would expect.

Good comment on the IR learning capability also; I suspect it would help a lot to include one additional quick reference card in the packaging that ran through the basics of how to learn IR keys, with a pointer back to Chapter 6 of the manual for additional in-depth info.

Re the lack of IR receiver, this was mainly a cost decision to help us keep the price as low as possible -- our reasoning being that we expect most customers will be existing Media Center users who already have an IR receiver in place and thus would prefer not to unnecessarily purchase another one. I'll review the wording in our online shop to see if we can make it more clear.

Fundamentally, we'd like everyone who buys an Amulet to be able to start using it with minimal reference to documentation, so "first impression" feedback from a new user is very valuable -- keep it coming.

Thanks,

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #199

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
I'm also having issues with the learning capabilities. I tried to program the volume buttons to control my receiver and while the remote indicates that it is learning the codes ok, it still transmits codes for MC volume control instead of my receiver. The TV power button appears to work ok though after programming.
Sid, this sounds like the volume isn't getting programmed at all. When you press the Volume key to send the learnt code, does the Amulet logo light up dark blue or light blue? Light blue indicates a learnt code, whereas dark blue is one of the built-in codes.

Is it possible you trained the volume keys on one of the alternate keymaps (red, green, yellow, blue) by mistake?

Also, what make & model is the AV receiver you are training the volume from?

Eddy

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #202

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
eddy wrote:
sid wrote:
Sid, this sounds like the volume isn't getting programmed at all. When you press the Volume key to send the learnt code, does the Amulet logo light up dark blue or light blue? Light blue indicates a learnt code, whereas dark blue is one of the built-in codes.

Is it possible you trained the volume keys on one of the alternate keymaps (red, green, yellow, blue) by mistake?

Also, what make & model is the AV receiver you are training the volume from?

Eddy

Every time I tried to program the volume buttons, the remote would flash solid green after I entered the code to be learned. I erased all learned codes(using the steps outlined in the manual) and reprogrammed it and now it appears to work. It does a very poor job of changing the volume on my AVR for some reason though (Onkyo TX-SR606), the receiver often does not pick up the button press and it takes several pushes to change the volume by 1 unit. The original remote works fine from the same position on the couch.

Edit:

My Onkyo AVR also has a red LED on the front that lights up when it is receiving an IR signal. Using the Amulet remote and holding down either button, this remote lights up once every few seconds. Using the original Onkyo remote, this stays lit up if I am holding down either volume button. Does the Amulet remote only send out single IR codes/waves? Is it possible for it to send continuously?
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by sid.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #208

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
My old Sony AV receiver had similar problems to this with a learning remote. Some units work on longer bursts of the IR data. Others need it to be shorter i.e. you might hit the button once very briefly and the volume would go up 4 or 5 units.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #216

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
I erased all learned codes(using the steps outlined in the manual) and reprogrammed it and now it appears to work. It does a very poor job of changing the volume on my AVR for some reason though (Onkyo TX-SR606), the receiver often does not pick up the button press and it takes several pushes to change the volume by 1 unit. The original remote works fine from the same position on the couch.
We've had a couple of reports from other Onkyo owners of difficulty with learning the volume keys. One trick that may help is to press the Onkyo button very briefly during learning, rather than holding it down.
My Onkyo AVR also has a red LED on the front that lights up when it is receiving an IR signal. Using the Amulet remote and holding down either button, this remote lights up once every few seconds. Using the original Onkyo remote, this stays lit up if I am holding down either volume button. Does the Amulet remote only send out single IR codes/waves? Is it possible for it to send continuously?
Amulet repeats the signal it has learnt continuously, with a brief interval between each repeat. From your description of the Oknyo IR LED, it sounds like it may not be reliably recognizing the signal it is receiving.

If you stand about 1 foot in front of the receiver and adjust the volume from there, do you see any difference in the red LED on the Onkyo, e.g. does it light up for longer?

Eddy

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #217

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Moving closer to the receiver made no difference.

Programming it with a quick push of the volume button on the original remote did help a bit but it still takes quite a long time to decrease the volume, making it pretty much useless unfortunately.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #220

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Also, is there a 'play' or 'resume' voice command? "Pause TV" seems to work effectively at pausing whatever I am watching, but I've tried saying "Play TV", "Resume TV", "Continue TV" to no avail.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #221

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Check out Eddy's info on the netflix thread explaining how to setup custom commands. It's pretty cool.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #226

• eddy
  • Administrator
sid wrote:
Also, is there a 'play' or 'resume' voice command? "Pause TV" seems to work effectively at pausing whatever I am watching, but I've tried saying "Play TV", "Resume TV", "Continue TV" to no avail.
You're on the right track, but the commands are slightly different:

Continue, Play Video, Play Movie, and Play Music are all supported as ways to resume pause media. However, we missed out Play TV!

I've added it to our todo list for the next beta.

Eddy

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #228

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
eddy wrote:
sid wrote:
You're on the right track, but the commands are slightly different:

Continue, Play Video, Play Movie, and Play Music are all supported as ways to resume pause media. However, we missed out Play TV!

I've added it to our todo list for the next beta.

Eddy

Pause Video works fine but Play Video does not resume the video, nor do any other the other commands listed.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #231

• eddy
  • Administrator
Hmm... it worked for me just now when I tried it.

Can you take a quick look in the debug log and confirm that the Play Video command is actually being recognized correctly?

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #232

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Log says it is recognizing as 'Play Video' and says it has changed state, but my video stays paused. Note, this is an MKV video file that I am viewing through MC (play/pause/etc. on the remote work fine).

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #241

• eddy
  • Administrator
Very strange. I just confirmed Continue / Play works okay with an MKV file on my test system here.

I think I will sleep on this one. Any other users able to confirm PAUSE VIDEO / PLAY VIDEO works (or fails) for them?

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #244

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
What the hell trick are you guys using to watch MKVs through WMC? I thought it didn't support those?

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #246

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
cjbrown80 wrote:
What the hell trick are you guys using to watch MKVs through WMC? I thought it didn't support those?

www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for-minimalists-on-windows-7.html

That method or using Shark007's codec pack will work. I don't know how you have a Ceton card but missed this. :P

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #247

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Does it work for .m2ts files? That's the format I have all my blurays backed up to. That would be nice to be able to use the movie library in WMC for those. Right now I just browse to the network share on my server to view them with MPC-HC. Also, that seems easier than getting them setup with MyMovies (which I have yet to try). Maybe not?

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 7 months ago #248

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
cjbrown80 wrote:
Does it work for .m2ts files? That's the format I have all my blurays backed up to. That would be nice to be able to use the movie library in WMC for those. Right now I just browse to the network share on my server to view them with MPC-HC. Also, that seems easier than getting them setup with MyMovies (which I have yet to try). Maybe not?

Not sure if you get it to play them natively, but I'm fairly positive you can set up MediaBrowser to automatically launch MPC-HC.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds