Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Two things I noticed immediately

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #249

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
I thought Media Browser was a separate application. You're saying it works from WMC? I'm just going for a seamless experience that can be completely controlled via the remote so I dont have to use a keyboard/mouse.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #250

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
MediaBrowser is an MC-based front-end similar to MyMovies (except free).

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #251

• cjbrown80
  • Junior Boarder
Nice, I'll have to give it a shot. What would your recommendation be? (I have no protest paying for MyMovies as long as I can demo it first)

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #252

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
cjbrown80 wrote:
Nice, I'll have to give it a shot. What would your recommendation be? (I have no protest paying for MyMovies as long as I can demo it first)

MyMovies isn't getting TV show support until the next version so I've been using MediaBrowser. I think MyMovies may be a bit more of a complete package if you shell out the ~$100 for all the addons. MediaBrowser is very customizable but takes a bit more effort to set up perfectly.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #255

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
My Movies v4 with TV Series support is available in pre-release at the moment to subscribers; the expectation appears to be that it will be out in early April.

My Movies v3, the public version, is available with basic features for free, but you can request an additional free trial that unlocks all the features for 21 days, to let you see what they're like.

Media Browser is a nice piece of software, but I have to say the My Movies interface is really professionally done and well integrated with Media Center. The My Movies metadata for movies and TV series is also of high quality. Definitely worth a look if you haven't seen it recently.

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by eddy.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #259

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
Hello,

I, too, am having problems with programming the volume control buttons for my Sony A/V Receiver (5.1 HDMI). The remote appears to program fine according to the instructions, but then the buttons rarely work, if at all, no matter how close I am to the receiver. I also have the same problem with the TV Power button on my Toshiba TV (40" 1080p). It programs and then doesn't work most of the time.

I have the original Microsoft remote and the programming works fine on that one for both cases.

With the Amulet remote, no problems at all with my original Microsoft IR receiver for WMC, but the TV and receiver hardly respond at all to the remote.

Thanks,

Maaz

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #260

• eddy
  • Administrator
MaazMansori wrote:
I, too, am having problems with programming the volume control buttons for my Sony A/V Receiver (5.1 HDMI). The remote appears to program fine according to the instructions, but then the buttons rarely work, if at all, no matter how close I am to the receiver. I also have the same problem with the TV Power button on my Toshiba TV (40" 1080p). It programs and then doesn't work most of the time.
Hi Maaz,

Could you (and anyone else reading who is having IR learning problems) check the firmware version on the remote control, as follows:
  • Exit Media Center and open Notepad
  • On the remote, hold down DVD Menu and the Speech Profile button in the upper right corner, simultaneously for several seconds.
This should send the current remote firmware version as a series of keystrokes, similar to 1*76. It will repeat, so find an '*' and take the first digit before and the first two digits after to get the version number, e.g. 1.76 in this example.

The shipping firmware is v1.77, so if you have an older firmware version, that may explain the issues you are seeing. (We fixed some issues related to Sony IR codes shortly before finalising the shipping version.)

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #261

• sid
  • Senior Boarder
Just tried this, my remote shipped with v1.77. One thing I noticed though was that the remote sends 1*77*1 but only continues sending if I keep pushing the DVD Menu+Speech Profile button combo repeatedly, holding them down does not result in a continuous string. Is that normal?
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by sid.

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #262

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
Eddy,

Thanks, but it's version 1.77. The model number of the Sony receiver is STR-DH510. I erased the programming and then reprogrammed it and it still works intermittently. Any other ideas? Also, I found that the TV Power button on my Toshiba TV works only if I stand about a foot from the TV and aim it right at the IR receiver.

Maaz

Maaz

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #269

• eddy
  • Administrator
Sid wrote:
Just tried this, my remote shipped with v1.77. One thing I noticed though was that the remote sends 1*77*1 but only continues sending if I keep pushing the DVD Menu+Speech Profile button combo repeatedly, holding them down does not result in a continuous string. Is that normal?
Yes, this is normal (if not particularly elegant...)

Maaz wrote:
The model number of the Sony receiver is STR-DH510. I erased the programming and then reprogrammed it and it still works intermittently. Any other ideas? Also, I found that the TV Power button on my Toshiba TV works only if I stand about a foot from the TV and aim it right at the IR receiver.
Hmm ... I will see if we can track down a similar model Sony and test against it here. I use a Sony receiver at home with Amulet, and it works reliably, but Sony is a big company and it's quite possible they have a completely different IR system on some models.

Just to check the obvious: the learning is done using the small IR learning window on the left side of the remote, and not the standard IR emission lens at the top of the remote. If by chance, you were pointing the two remotes head-to-head during learning, the IR learning window would only be seeing a very restricted view of the source IR, which would definitely lead to problems!

Presuming that's not the case, it would also be helpful if you could experiment using very brief button presses on the original remote during learning, vs longer presses. For example, select the blue keymap, then train the keys 1..5 with different variations; you can then easily check whether one approach is more effective than the other.

(I hasten to add, we don't expect that you should have to do this in normal use, but it may help us diagnose the underlying issue more quickly.)

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 9 months ago #276

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
Eddy,

Yes, I'm using the side IR sensor. I tried brief button presses vs. long button presses; still not working reliabily. Usually if I press the volume buttons several times, it will work, but not the way it is supposed it.

Another I tried is I reprogrammed my old Microsoft remote to the receivers volume buttons and it worked fine and reliably. It uses the same procedure for programming as the Amulet except you have to hold down the DVD and OK buttons a little bit longer. I then tried to reprogram the Amulet remote from the Microsoft remote (instead of the original Sony remote) but it didn't make any difference. I tried both short key presses and long ones.

Maaz

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 8 months ago #288

• mphac@rcn.com
I am having the same problem with learned commands for my Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver. I have programmed the volume up & down buttons, an the "music" button to control the Onkyo's power on/off function. All three buttons exhibit the same symptoms;

1. They work, but unreliably. The buttons often have to be pushed repeatedly or held down before the receiver responds.

2. The Onkyo's IR receiver pilot LED does flash when it recognizes a command, but this is as irregular as #1. Whenever the LED does flash, the receiver responds appropriately.

3. Holding down one of the programmed buttons on the remote does appear to send the code repeatedly, because the receiver LED flashes repeatedly BUT IRREGULARLY, as if only some of the repetitively-sent codes are being received.

4. Pacing the remote very close (2- inches) to the receiver's IR sensor makes no difference. This does not appear to be a signal-strength issue.

5. I have also tried reprogramming the Amulet buttons using short button presses on the Onkyo remote as suggested. This did not help.

At this point I wouldn't go as far as the other poster in calling the learning function "useless", but it's certainly annoying. This feature is minimal or absent on other WMC remotes, and is one of the main reasons I bought the Amulet - perhaps even more so than the voice command feature. I'm disappointed that it doesn't work better.

In a similar vein I agree with the suggestion (posted elsewhere) for a learned macro capability - at least for the TV power button so that multiple devices can be powered on/off with one button press. (Although this would be worse than useless if one of the devices like the Onkyo only responded intermittently; just imagine th nightmare!)

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 8 months ago #292

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
I agree. Exactly the same symptoms with my Sony STR-DH510 when using the volume control buttons. I still haven't been able to resolve it. It's important to be able to control the receiver's volume properly because when using digital sound (Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS etc), the computer's volume is ignored as it just passes through to the receiver.

In the case of my Toshiba TV, it appears to be a signal strength issue even though it is just a short distance. It works if I point the remote in a certain way to the left of the TV (not required with original TV remote or Microsoft WMC remote).

I'm hoping to get at least be able to control my receiver properly if not the TV too. It would be nice to be able to just use 1 remote for all essential features, like I was doing with the Microsoft remote (but it of course didn't have the voice commands).

Maaz

Re:Two things I noticed immediately 6 years 8 months ago #293

• mphac@rcn.com
My firmware version is 1.77
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds