Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Initial receipt and setup

Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #213

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Being installed on:
Windows 7 Premium 64bit w/Media Center
Intel Core i3 530
4GB RAM
Ceton InfinityTV (4 channel tuner)
Off brand USB Bluetooth adapter and keyboard
Verizon FiOS service

Received the Amulet control quite quickly (thank you!). The packaging was excellent and the entire product screams quality from the moment you open the box.

During the software install, there was a 2 – 4 minute delay from choosing Paul as the voice until the preparing for setup pop-up window closed. After that installation worked properly and after the process completed I was prompted to watch the installation video.

After the initial Media Center launch after software installation, the system would respond to voice commands audibly (what time is it, watch live TV), but the Media Center wouldn’t actually perform the commands. It responded with the time, but would not change to live TV (remained at the media center entry screen). After a full system restart the system began performing normally, spoken commands when recognized performed the correct actions.

Happily, there does not appear to be a conflict between the Amulet USB adapter and the other Bluetooth adapter and keyboard!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #224

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the report Mike.

I'm at a loss to explain why Live TV wasn't working from the start, but relieved that a reboot sorted it out!

It might have been related to the background indexing of media that starts when the installation completes. A mini-index happens during installation to get you up and running quickly, while the full index may take several minutes (longer, if a lot of metadata is being downloaded for movie & TV programs in your collection).

Eddy

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #253

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
OK Eddy, sounds reasonable.

I have another few observations:

I keep the MCE computer running all the time and MCE running. Today after a few hours non-use (while at work...) I couldn't get the voice commands to recognize at first. After performing a few commands via the IR functions of the remote, voice commands started responding again.

Also, I have about 100 movies ripped to the MCE, but after 24 hours only 20 show up in the movies subfolder. The recorded TV programs are all present. No music (none loaded yet on the MCE, it's all on a remote computer).

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #254

• eddy
  • Administrator
I keep the MCE computer running all the time and MCE running. Today after a few hours non-use (while at work...) I couldn't get the voice commands to recognize at first. After performing a few commands via the IR functions of the remote, voice commands started responding again.
It would be helpful to turn on debug logging, to see what is going on if this happens again - details in this thread.

For the missing movies, if you go to the Amulet Settings page and look at the status, do you see a total videos count (including both Movies and Other Videos) that exceeds 100 titles? If your movie names are a bit messy, Amulet may not be auto-detecting them as movies and they may be classified under Videos instead.

If that's not it, what file extension do most of your movies have? And do they show up within Media Center under the normal Pictures & Videos -> Videos menu strip?

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #256

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
1) I'll take care of the debug logging soon
2) Good question, I've been using My Movies to manage the collection, so I've been lazy with the the folder structure/file extension, or if it played nice with the normal MCE movie collection. I'll double check that layout before cataloging the extensions and see if it takes care of the issue.

thanks!

I'm lame and hadn't installed the beta software. I was only using the software included on the CD sent with the remote :blush:

Installing the beta now...
The channel and media indexer looked like they ran well.

And I had just removed the MyMovies program this morning :blush: :blush: ; guess I'll be reinstalling that also!
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by mikeb. Reason: I can't follow instructions...

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 9 months ago #283

• mphac@rcn.com
The system did not recognize or respond to voice commands after initial install or after installing the beta upgrade. It was necessary to open the Windows Control Panel --> Sound applet, select the Recording tab, choose the Amulet Voice Remote as the default device, and then restart WMC. The procedure worked just as described in "Readme First.rtf", but it took a while for me to find it there. Is there a way to have the Amulet Voice Remote automatically select itself as the default device during software installation?

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 8 months ago #286

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Some problems with scheduled to record TV series, maybe since I've installed the beta software:

Submitted a bug report with the log attached via the tool, but wanted to add some follow-up information I've developed.

It looks like MCE stopped recording scheduled programs after I installed the Amulet beta software, but I can't be really sure (I've been out of town for a family emergency for the past few days and my wife's been using the MCE; she noticed programs weren't recording).

I created a new scheduled recording in MCE by selecting a program in the guide, and under the series options I only have 2 selections: keep until and start/end time (used to be able to select number to keep, and first run/repeat. I need to do look more into this on my machine).

It took a few tries to add the new recording, MCE kept erroring out as I was trying to create the new scheduled recording.

Also, it appears that the list of recorded programs in the Amulet front end doesn't have all the recorded series under the series view. I know it will take time for the front end to update when I add a new recording, but a very old series didn't show up either. I'll look a bit closer in the front end to see narrow down the limit (number, scheduled vs displayed series).

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 8 months ago #302

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
quick update: haven't been able to re-create recording scheduling problem. All scheduled programs are recording properly again.

My next problem is a failure in My Movies (database corruption) that isn't related to the Amulet. I need to get in and completelly blow away the movie database and reinstall. After I do that I'll resume testing the movies function/tie-ins.

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 8 months ago #313

• eddy
  • Administrator
Thanks for the feedback Mike - your bug report also arrived safely, and we've been looking through the logs here. While I haven't come across any other instances of recordings being skipped, obviously that would be something we take very seriously.

It might be useful to check the Media Center Recorded TV / Scheduled / History to see if the missing programs showed up there as not recording for any specific reason, or whether they simply vanished entirely.

mikeb wrote:
Also, it appears that the list of recorded programs in the Amulet front end doesn't have all the recorded series under the series view. I know it will take time for the front end to update when I add a new recording, but a very old series didn't show up either. I'll look a bit closer in the front end to see narrow down the limit (number, scheduled vs displayed series).

If this happens again, check to see if the program is showing up correctly in the Amulet Recorded TV view; if so, then Amulet has indexed it and simply decided that it is not a TV series, thus not suitable for inclusion in the "TV Series" page. This may be because of incorrect or confusing metadata from the TV guide, though Amulet cross-checks with TheTVDB.com to find series it may have otherwise missed.

While Videos and Music are only re-indexed once a day by default, or on demand, Recorded TV programs should be indexed within 5-10 seconds of the recording starting; if something is not showing up, it sounds as if Amulet found the program but ran into a program indexing it. If you have the debug log enabled, it will show whenever the Amulet.Scanner utility is invoked to index new TV programs in the background.

In any case, good to hear that this hasn't re-occurred on your system.

Eddy

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 8 months ago #397

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok Eddy, thanks for the feedback.

1) I've created a new issue tonight and I'll put together a bug report shortly, but what has happened twice now is:

Initially MCE bombed to a black screen with a popup error dialogue saying it had stopped. I needed to restart MCE and after that happened I went into my series manager and removed one of the series that was recording at the time. That immediately caused another black screen lockup.

After another MCE restart I went back into the schedule manager and tried to remove another series, promptly followed by another lockup.

I don't know if this is an Amulet problem or not, but I don't remember having these problems before. Hopefully the logs will help shed some light.

2) Another issue to take a look at is that after installing the Amulet software recorded series no longer delete episodes (after the max number) as specified in the series preferences. For example if I record Top Gear and say to keep 7 episodes I come back on Tuesday after the BBC-USA TG marathon and have 20 episodes recorded. Sure, I'll watch them, but I probably shouldn't watch so much TV :P

I've noticed this for a while now, and I'm pretty sure it started happening after in installed the beta software.

Thanks!
mike

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #425

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
followup to the most recent bug report I submitted

MCE kept changing back to the food network, regardless of what channel I was watching at the time, quite annoying! I ultimately uninstalled the beta software and am watching the system to make sure it's stable now.

Also, something odd was going on that I haven't reported on before. Every evening at about 8:05 MCE would black screen. This was a few minutes after the beginning of the time when I have the most co-occuring recording scheduled (up to 4). However, regardless of if it was 1 or 4 recording going on, there would be a drop out.

Hope the logs I've submitted help with either of these issues.

Is there a scheduled release for the next version of the beta software? I am waiting to make sure my media center install is working properly (black screens) stop before re-installing the Amulet beta software to make sure it's not my install that is causing the problems.

thanks,
mike

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #426

• eddy
  • Administrator
Hi Mike,

I've just finished reviewing the bug log you submitted, and I see what happened. It looks like you connected a USB webcam around 8 PM and Windows automatically changed it to the default audio input device. Amulet then started using this as the audio input for speech instead of the Amulet microphone in the remote.

As a result, the microphone was open the whole time, listening to what was coming out of your speakers and attempting to make sense of it. It eventually triggered on a random phrase which it matched as a command to select the food channel.

A simple way to recover from this if it happens again is to just unplug and replug the Amulet USB dongle, and Windows will switch it back to the default device once more. (Unfortunately, there's no easy way I know of to prevent Windows from doing this automatic re-assignment of default audio input device when a new microphone is plugged in.)

Regarding the crashes, we're internally testing the new beta release at the moment, which includes a number of stability improvements that I think will address the issues you have seen. I expect to release this to external testers within the next 48 hours, so keep an eye on your email for news.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #427

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
One feature suggestion to help address Mike's problem and anyone else who may encounter such an issue: Would it be possible for Amulet to have its own default microphone, similar to the how the Skype software has it or is there some limitation in WMC plugins or elsewhere that make it necessary to use the Windows default microphone?

Maaz

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #429

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the update Eddy!

that's pretty interesting. I keep the webcam attached to this computer for video chat with (grand)parents. There was a software update from Logitech that was pretty 'sloppy' and kept pestering me to re-register and add their super-duper videochat software.

I'll go back and uninstall that crap-ware now :angry:

Unfortunately (for me) MCE black screened again overnight, which worries me to think there is a deeper issue with my Ceton tuner card and MCE install, the upside is I have no evidence that the Amulet software had anything to do with the MCE instability.

I'll be looking cleaning up my system further. Good news about the update to Amulet software! I'll look forward to installing that shortly.

thanks
-mike

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #433

• eddy
  • Administrator
MaazMansori wrote:
One feature suggestion to help address Mike's problem and anyone else who may encounter such an issue: Would it be possible for Amulet to have its own default microphone, similar to the how the Skype software has it or is there some limitation in WMC plugins or elsewhere that make it necessary to use the Windows default microphone?
This is definitely possible, and something we hope to do, but it's technically more challenging than you might expect, due to some issues around the speech recognition engine we use.

It would definitely help avoid these kinds of problems. In the interim though, we may look at adding a warning to the Amulet welcome message spoken when Media Center starts up. ("Welcome to Amulet. I am using an unrecognized microphone for speech recognition instead of the Amulet remote.") What do you think?

mikeb wrote:
Unfortunately (for me) MCE black screened again overnight, which worries me to think there is a deeper issue with my Ceton tuner card and MCE install, the upside is I have no evidence that the Amulet software had anything to do with the MCE instability.
Thanks for letting us know, Mike. While I can sympathise, I'm relieved to hear that Amulet doesn't appear to be a factor.

Eddy
Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #434

• mikeb
  • Fresh Boarder
eddy wrote:
It would definitely help avoid these kinds of problems. In the interim though, we may look at adding a warning to the Amulet welcome message spoken when Media Center starts up. ("Welcome to Amulet. I am using an unrecognized microphone for speech recognition instead of the Amulet remote.") What do you think?

Would be hugely helpful!! I had no I idea the webcam had usurped the microphone/input (and sometimes the simplest answers are the best)

I'll be doing a Windows feature uninstall of MCE in the near future, and I'll install the latest Ceton drivers on top of it. That should allow me a stable platform to install the Amulet software on.

Re:Initial receipt and setup 6 years 7 months ago #438

• MaazMansori
  • Junior Boarder
eddy wrote:

That would definitely help, at least for those of us who are more computer literate and changing a basic setting is not a big deal. For the general consumer, you should look into doing something better for the long term. If having its own defaults proves to be too difficult for now, maybe your software could change the Windows default or even open up the Sound control panel and allow the user to change it manually?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds