Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome, Amulet Beta Testers!
Here you'll find discussion of the latest Amulet Voice Remote beta software, as it moves towards general release. Please give us your feedback, bug reports, and comments on how you are getting on with beta testing, along with any feature requests you think may help improve the Amulet software.

Please only post here relating to issues with Amulet beta software releases; use the main forums for general discussion about Amulet.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Distorted sound/Processor related?

Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 4 months ago #480

• kwhite6
  • Fresh Boarder
When the Amulet music screen is showing or the Amulet TV/Movies screen the sound will warble and the response time is a little slower then when just a tv show is playing or only music is playing.
I have a feeling this is processor related. I am using a AMD 64 x2 5600+ 2.9ghz and it just may not be powerful enough to do speech and record tv and show the Amulet graphics.
Anyone else experience this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 4 months ago #481

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
This does sound like a CPU related issue, but in general, the AMD 64 x2 should be plenty fast enough for Amulet. For example, on my Core2Quad Intel Q8800, I only see CPU usage of around 20-25% when running the Amulet music page. How much RAM is on your system?

Can you check CPU usage in Task Manager and see if any of the ehExtHost.exe processes are averaging around 40-50% CPU usage? If so, note the Process ID (you may need to enable the PID column under View / Select Columns). Then cross-check the process ID against the most recent Amulet log file in C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\Logs and you can identify which Amulet Module is responsible.

Is it possible your DirectX graphics drivers have been disabled, so the system is using software rendering for the graphics effects in Media Center? Run DXDIAG from the Desktop Start menu, select the Display tab, and make sure both DirectDraw and Direct3D are shown as Enabled.

Thanks,

Eddy

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 2 months ago #499

• kwhite6
  • Fresh Boarder
The system has 4GB of Ram and is using on board graphics.
I tested the Amulet on a machine with a video card and got better results.
I think I need to add a video card to the system as the embedded graphics are giving me trouble with HDCP errors. DxDiag shows everything enabled.
I imagine the Ceton card is using a lot of resources also.

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 2 months ago #500

• eddy
  • Administrator
I think I need to add a video card to the system as the embedded graphics are giving me trouble with HDCP errors. DxDiag shows everything enabled.
I think it would definitely be worth adding a video card, even a cheap $30-$50 model.

Onboard video cards often share the same memory architecture as the main system RAM, so the audio and video will be competing for access to the motherboard memory. If there is a lot of animation, this becomes much more intense. Video access generally gets priority over audio, which might explain the sound interference you're hearing.

Eddy

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 2 months ago #506

• kwhite6
  • Fresh Boarder
I added a video card and the difference is noticeable, most/all distortion is gone and video performance is improved.

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 2 months ago #507

• eddy
  • Administrator
I added a video card and the difference is noticeable, most/all distortion is gone and video performance is improved.
Thanks for the update Kevin - glad to hear it worked!

Eddy

Re: Distorted sound/Processor related? 6 years 2 months ago #508

• kwhite6
  • Fresh Boarder
The video card also solved a problem I had with my Yamaha receiver and HDCP. Prior to using the card when switching sources the HTPC would not sync; that problem has now disappeared
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds