Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Remote and Media Browser

Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #555

• Ben
Am having a great time using amulet remote. But I was wondering when we might see a customizeable ui to allow the remote to access certain media center plug-ins such as media browser. Or is this possible by editting some of the xml documents?

Thaks agin

Ben
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #556

• ben
ned about the custom commands text but I'm wondering how the action would look to access entry points in media center?

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #557

• eddy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Ben,
[...] about the custom commands text but I'm wondering how the action would look to access entry points in media center?
Supporting custom Media Center plug-ins in a generic way is quite difficult, since there is no standard for controlling the UI of such plug-ins. Thus, they really need to be handled on an ad-hoc basis, as we did with the My Movies support in the current beta, for example.

Actually, there is a standard - the Accessibility interface, used to allow blind or partially sighted users to interact with UI elements. Unfortunately, while the Media Center plug-in architecture fully supports Accessibility, and Amulet's custom commands have the ability to control applications that expose Accessbility information, almost none of the popular plug-ins make use of this. (My Movies kindly added some Accessibility information their v4 release, which helped us to support it from Amulet).

All is not lost however. You can a new custom commands to "C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\CustomCommands.txt" to launch a third-party plug-in using syntax like this:
Command=Go To Media Browser
Response=Going to Media Browser
Action=runback "c:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe" /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

The complicated looking /entrypoint parameter gives the GUID combination to launch Media Browser; it has the form {application_guid}\{entrypoint_guid} where the application and entry point IDs are taken from the registry keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\EntryPoints (the Entrypoints Key contains a list of valid entry points, and each entry point has the corresponding AppID, plug-in name, etc. as a sub-key.)

If the plug-in is already running when you launch it like this, Media Center should bring the existing instance back to the foreground. (This can be slightly problematic if you do it while a screen saver or slideshow is running, however.)

You often find that a single plug-in has multiple entry-points, which can be used to start the plug-in at a particular sub-page.

Once the plug-in is active, additional Custom Commands can use the SendKey command to generate keyboard navigation sequences to go to particular sections within the plug-in.

To get full integration, for example the ability to jump straight to a movie in Media Browser by name, would require closer integration between Amulet and Media Browser -- in particular, Amulet would need a way to interrogate Media Browser's media database, so that it can build its vocabulary accordingly. While this would be nice to do, it's not something we plan imminently.

In the meantime, however, you can use the BROWSE TO <x> speech command to simulate typing the letter <x> on the keyboard -- this will often jump you to a certain point within a list, e.g. BROWSE TO C to get to all movies beginning with 'C', as long as the plug-in supports keyboard entry.

We plan to make custom commands much easier to define and manage in a future release; if you have any feedback related to this, we'd certainly welcome it.

Eddy
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by eddy.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #558

• ben
Thank you for the promt reply. Very helpful. Thank you for explaining the call back feature. This was extemely helpful. I can now call media browsers EHS with my voice and I'm currently working on a "workaround" to call up each library. I believe this can be done by adding Media Browsers virtual folders to entry points in Media Center.

Using the program Media Center Studio I am able to add entry points on the "Start" menu of Media Center. I should be able to call these entry points (VF folders) using the format explained above.

Thank you again. I love this remote!

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #559

• eddy
  • Administrator
Great!

When you have everything working to your satisfaction, maybe you could post a follow up with your CustomCommands.txt and possibly Media Center Studio config, which others could use to follow in your footsteps.

Regards,

Eddy

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #560

• Ben
Here is a run through of how to get limited, yet useful control of Media Browser with your Amulet Voice Remote

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

1.You have to have Media Browser Installed on your machine. Here

2.Media Center Studio installed Please read the following Here to successfully install this program.

Note: Media Browser uses virtual folders to compile large movie and TV databases together within their UI. What we want to do is tell Amulet CustomCommands.txt where to find these virtual folders.
In order to do so, we will use Media Center Studio to create registry entry points out of these virtual folders.

This can be done easily like this:

And you end up with this:

Now you have to go through the registry on your computer to find out what each of these entry points have been named.

Go here in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\EntryPoints

You'll want to find the APPID and GUIID for each entry point.

Media Browser is: APPID{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2} and GUIID{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

The GUIID is the random bunch of letters and numbers on the left of the screen, and the APPID are listed to the right.

Scroll through each of the GUIID until you find one of your virtual folder listed on the right in the "Context" line:

Notice the APPID is the same as Media Browser (go figure...) so it will be the GUIID that we will be copying:

In the CustomCommand.txt for Amulet (C:\ProgramData\Amulet Devices\CustomCommands.txt) use the following code to give each Virtual Folder a command

This particular Command will bring up the Media Browser EHS.
Example:

Command=Go To Media Browser
Response=Going to Media Browser
Action=runback "c:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe" /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

Change the GUIID (the line of code after the "\") to match the GUIID of your virtual folder you found in the registry, Give it a new Command, and the Amulet Remote will take you directly to your Media Browser library!

Good luck

I'm not very good at walk throughs, but I am available to answer some questions about this.

I'm also not very good with bbcode so for give me if this walk through looks terrible.

Ben

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #563

• eddy
  • Administrator
Excellent walkthrough Ben - thank you!

I think this will be of great value to other Media Browser users.

Eddy

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #564

• ben
Hello again,

So I think I maybe on to something here as far as getting a "go to" commmand working with Media Browser. But I have some questions that would help me get things rolling.

Right now I have my librarys set up. Call each library and moving around them is pretty straight forward. I can give the "up", "Down" "Left" and "Right commands and it will move around the movie posters fawlessly.

When in side the library, Media Browser will allow you to type the movie name on your keyboard and it will move to the movie respectivly.

I believe that given the right {enter} commmand after a search is types into Media Browser I should be able to call up the Movies Details page.
However, Doing the search is where I need help. Using the Amulet software what would the commmand look like to search based on what I say?

Obviously I could type in everyone of my 260 plus movies/ 1000s of tv episodes, each with the "up/down/left/right" commmands followed by "enter", but that seems a little extreme.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #565

• eddy
  • Administrator
I believe that given the right {enter} commmand after a search is types into Media Browser I should be able to call up the Movies Details page.
However, Doing the search is where I need help. Using the Amulet software what would the commmand look like to search based on what I say?
Hmmm.. this is where things start getting a bit trickier. We have some enhancements to the custom command capability planned that would help with some of this, but they won't be available for a while yet.

Here is one possibility you might experiment with. Just to summarise as I understand it, once the Media Browser library page is open, you can type in the name of a movie and Media Browser will jump automatically to that entry in the list, so you can then send an Enter to select it?

If so, then your best bet would be a little script that reads your movie names (perhaps from the output of a DIR /B command carried out inside your main Movies folder) and converts them into an automatically generated CustomCommands.txt, where each entry is of the form:
Command=Select Batman Forever
Response="Batman Forever"
Action=SendKey "Batman Forever{Enter}"

Command=Select Mission Impossible
Response="Mission Impossible"
Action=SendKey "Mission Impossible{Enter}"
Obviously, this would be rather laborious to do manually, though you could probably do it in Word using some clever search & replacing as a one-off. Scripting it with VB-Script (built into Windows these days) would let you do it automatically every night so that new titles get included automatically.

Of course, you'd append the output of this to your original CustomCommands.txt so that you get your own additional custom commands included also.

Eddy

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #566

• ben
Thanks for the help!

Yep that's it, only without the {enter} command. Media Browser will automatically enter the details page with only the name of the movie typed inside the "". This accually makes things really easy. Thank you for your help. I'll look into creating a script that will make my custom commands and then update them for me (that's goning to take some thinking).
It seems as though Amulet and Media Browser were just ment to be used together. You guys have made a versitile product here. Super easy to use. It's really quite something.

Thanks again,

Ben

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #567

• Ben
Go TO COommands for TV and Movie Database in Media Browser

Three programs you'll need:

Where Are My Movies At (WAMMA)

Voice Command Prep VCP

TXTcollector - Free Text File Merging Tool

1.Use WAMMA to export your Movie Data Base to an XML Document. This File will be called Movie.XML
2.Save this file to a Work Folder
3.Save VCP to the same Work folder and Runn it on the Movie XML
4.Open the Output folder.
Each Movie you have in your data base has it's own txt file using the following Amulet Commands:
;;Media Browser Movie Search
COmmand= Movie Title
Response= "Movie Title"
Action= Sendkeys "Movie Title"

4.Use TXT FileMerge software to merge all the txt documents into one master command document
5.Open this Master COmmand DOcument and Select :Edit, Select All, Copy.
6.Open Amulets CustomCommand.TXT and Paste all your new Commands into it.
Note: Do Movies Seperate from TV shows.

This should get the bulk of the Commands done quickly for those with Large collections.

Thanks to Tobias Tobin and Maleficrum from the MB CT for the help

Good Luck

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #568

• eddy
  • Administrator
Nicely done, Ben!

One small optimisation that might be useful: you can remove the need for TXTCollector by just using the standard DOS copy command to do the merge for you. Let's say you have all the movie command .txt files stored in the folder C:\MovieCommands, and your original CustomCommands list stored in C:\CustomCommands-basic.txt.

You can then issue the DOS command:
copy c:\customcommands-basic.txt+c:\moviecommands\*.txt "c:\programdata\amulet devices\customcommands.txt"

and it will concatenate all the movie files you generated in step 2, and add them to the end of your basic Customcommands file, creating a new CustomCommmands.txt file with everything. Of course, you can then put this into a "MERGEALL.CMD" batch file to make it happen automatically with a single click, or possibly even get VoiceCommandPrep to do the same thing automatically for you.

Thanks for sharing,

Eddy

P.S. You might also want to think about including a command word in front of each movie name in the generated command files, to avoid situations where the name of a movie is close to an existing Amulet command. For example, "Select Redline" instead of just "Redline". This down to your own individual collection though, so if it's working well for you the way it is, then job done.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #576

• ben
I was just wondering about the mymovies support and amulet, because Media Browser use to use the mymovies.xml for all the metadata for movies and TV.

The funny thing is that Media Browser still uses the same file structure in the XML but they just named it Movie.XML instead of Mymovies.XML. Just thought I'd bring it up since AMulet has already started MYmovies integration. It may be simple to do the cross over. For instance I noticed that the AMulet software will read the description for movies aloud. NOt sure about Mymovies, but if it does then it's reading the same taglines from the XML for Media Browser.

Thanks again!

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #577

• ben
I've had some serious breakthroughs with the Command Searchs in Media Browser and I just wanted sare them.

The most important discovery is that when searching for media in the particular library Media Browser will use the "Spacebar" key stroke to select the movie and enter the Details page.
This is super important!! I could figure out why MB and VOice remote would sometimes pick different movies than What I wanted. This is why..

Now when writting searches they should look like this:

Example:

;;Media Browser Media Search
Command= Search Bolt
Response= "Bolt"
Action=Sendkeys "Bolt "

Notice the space after the movie title. This will select and bring up the Deatil Page.
Infacty the entire Film names doesn't even have to be written. YOu can test how many characters you need to use by manually enter the title from your keyboard into the library until the movie is selected.
Note: Do Not use space bar in the movie title until it is selected.

Example: "ResidentEvil " <--Finished with a space.

Although Resident Evil will probably be choosen before you finish the title.

<b>Current Problems I am having</b>

When two movies have a name are almost the same:

Example:

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later

We can now serach a choose 28 Days Later however the sendkeys action will not let us choose 28 Weeks later.

How ever we are now a step closer to Search and Play in Media Browser using Amulet Voice COmmands

Very Cool Stuff.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #578

• ben
Just wanted to update my findings.

I can now have the search AND read the plot line AND the MMPA rating while entering each movie, that was easy enough! In fact the VCP program can be editted to do this for you...

Example:

Command= Search Batman Begins
Response="Bat-man Begins. Rated PG 13... Bruce Wayne adapts the image of a bat, to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Bat-man'."
Action=SendKeys "Bat "

Note: don't forget the "spacebar" keystroke after the "bat" in Sendkeys= "bat "

However. There are small problems when searching this way. If you are at the top of your list and call for a movie that is near the bottom of the list. It's going to call the wrong movie. About 10% of the time and vice versa.

That means that there is about an 80% probablility that the correct movie will be choosen. That's good enough for me!!

In order to search better, it is easier to call the browse function to the letter the movie starts with:

Example:
From the bottom of the list of Movies in Media Browser..

"Browse B" then "Search Batman Begins"

which will run:

Command= Search Batman Begins
Response="Bat-man Begins. Rated PG 13... Bruce Wayne adapts the image of a bat, to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Bat-man'."
Action=SendKeys "Bat "

This way is gauranteed to call the right movie, everytime in Media Browser.

My questions are:

Can I call the browse feature from with in the Action line?

Is there a way to call several parameters from the action line?

If I can write the browse feature with a small pause between the search (maybe {200ms}) it will choose the proper movie every single time.

Example:

Action= Browse <B> Sendkeys "Bat "

Is this example correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very close to cracking it perfectly...

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #579

• eddy
  • Administrator
Great progress Ben - thanks for the update!

You covered a fair amount of ground there; I'll try and respond to everything in one post for simplicity.
I was just wondering about the mymovies support and amulet, because Media Browser used to use the mymovies.xml for all the metadata for movies and TV.
Reading the metadata for movies is, comparatively speaking, the easy part -- whether we fetch that from MyMovies, Media Browser XML files, or dynamically from TheMovieDB.org doesn't really make much difference.

The tricky bit is controlling the user interface to select the appropriate movie details. While you've made impressive progress automating the interface to Media Browser, it still requires a fair bit of experience on the user's part to ensure that, for example, they only say the name of a movie while on the Media Browser page. If you were to say a movie command in the wrong place, for example while on the Recorded TV or Search page, it could have unexpected consequences as a string of characters gets typed into the interface at random.

Ideally, you would like to be able to tell when Media Center is displaying the Media Browser interface, and if you get a Media Browser voice command when the interface isn't on view, then the plug-in could be launched first, before sending the keystrokes. This is similar to what we do for MyMovies, but unfortunately Media Browser doesn't include any of the Accessibility UI tags in their pages that would allow us to detect whether or not the plug-in is open.

Since Media Browser is Open Source though, this would be a great feature for someone to add (hint hint!) - I'm happy to provide sample code if anyone is interested, though I don't have the time to take on the full integration and testing myself at present.

Now for some better news...
Can I call the browse feature from with in the Action line?
Yes! Well, more specifically, you can do what the Browse feature does, which is to just send a single keystroke -- this is just SendKeys all over again. The trick is to put a delay after it. You might say something like this:

Action=SendKeys "B{200ms}Bat "

(replace the '200ms' with whatever delay you like.)

What might work better, and also allow you to eliminate the delay entirely, is to see if there is a special keystroke that will jump Media Browser to the start of the list. The HOME key often does this, though I don't know if MB recognizes it - worth a try.

Then the command would look like this:

Action=SendKeys "{Home}Bat "

(As before, there is a space at the end of each of these SendKeys sequences.)

In general, you can use any of the special keys like Tab, Esc, Enter, Control, etc by just putting their name in curly brackets as above.

The more general issue of not being able to select a title in its entirety because of a clash with other titles with the same name is something we ran into with My Movies early on; in fact, it was a little worse there since My Movies only recognized the first four characters of the name and ignored everything else, as well as ignoring everything after the first space -- a real problem for all the movies called "The something something"!

We overcame this with My Movies by talking directly to their internal API to select movies directly rather than using keyboard input - this is more elegant, and a lot faster as well as being more reliable. If Media Browser exposed any sort of automation UI, we could definitely look at adding support for that.

Eddy

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #582

• Ben
O.K. so finally a code that will fetch a movie title flawlessly each time!! Great News!

The Action Looks like this For Batman Begins (or unless you have the original movie with Jack Nicholson, then it would find that one).

Action= "B{200ms}at{200ms} "

The first 200 millisecond delay pauses the search enough time to go to the <B> section of the movie list. And the second 200 millisecond delay gives the search enough time to highlight the movie before pressing the space bar (which is the same as enter).

It's Flawless now.

For problems I was having before where I couldn't choose "28 Weeks later" because it was too close in name to "28 Days Later" I can use the {right} command from "28 Days Later"

(This is all probably obvious to Amulet team, but I'm learning as I go...)

Example:

Action= "2{200ms}8{right}{200ms} "

This will work with most sequels to movies because they will always be listed beside the predecessor.

Current Problems which have to be edited to work properly in Media Browser.

Media Browser allows each person to enlarge and decrease the size of each poster and gives different layout options (Example: Coverflow, Poster etc).
This can cause problems, mostly in Poster View because the larger the poster the less posters on each row, the smaller the posters the more on each row.

Using the "{right}" command may not always work because Media Browser will not start the next row of movie posters when you choose "right" at the end of row. It will instead go to the "Config" icon in the upper/lower corner of the screen.

If "Back To the Future" is the last in the row of movies and you use the {right} command, it will not move to "Back to the Future part 2", Instead you have to use the {left} command from a searchable movie after "Back To The Future part 2".

Is that confusing? Did I explain it properly?

This is no big deal, unless you decided to change the size of your posters larger or smaller (So pick a size that looks good on the screen and keep it that way!!) or you add a new movie that put's itself somewhere between "Back To the Future part 3" and the movie you are counting back from.

If you use Coverflow View, there will never be a problem with writing "left/right" commands.

I've made a feature request to allow for Third Party Programs to access Media Browser in a way that searching would become easier.

My next goal is to be able to search a new movie from Media Browsers Details Page, without having to "Go Back" every time I want to Search a New Movie.

Really this whole thing is just a novelty!! Amulet Search and Play back is much better. I can ask Amulet software to play any movie I want from the Media Center "Start" Page, and from inside Media Browser For that fact. But Media Browser does have a nice interface to show off all my TV and Movies. That's the only reason I'm figuring it out

Thanks again,

Ben

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #583

• eddy
  • Administrator
Really this whole thing is just a novelty!! Amulet Search and Play back is much better. I can ask Amulet software to play any movie I want from the Media Center "Start" Page, and from inside Media Browser For that fact. But Media Browser does have a nice interface to show off all my TV and Movies. That's the only reason I'm figuring it out
Well, indeed! Though it is still very nice to be able to visually call up a movie description and other data by voice in advance of playing it, so I'd hardly call your work to date just a novelty - it's pretty useful!

One other detail I forgot to mention which is quite handy: for the Response strings Amulet speaks back after recognizing a custom command, if you begin the string with an '*', then Amulet will treat it as interruptable. If you have quite a long response string, say with the description of the film, then you might say
Response=*Batman Begins. The story of how Batman ... etc ...
The benefit here is that if you give another speech command while Amulet is still talking, Amulet can interrupt itself and immediately respond to the new command rather than having to wait until the previous response has finished talking.

Eddy

P.S. I posted a blog entry today discussing the use of custom commands and VBScript. Not directly applicable to the Media Browser stuff but maybe of interest anyway. See this blog post for more details.

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #584

• ben
Thank Gawd for the interruptable!!! Seriously!! It was driving me crazy!! I acually took the synopsis out of the response. But now I may add it back in...

I thought That I'd post a master command list for the blockbusters and t.v. show for about the last five years.

I should mention that there are limitations to the commands (mentioned above) but I believe that if you use an Amulet Remote and Media Browser this will be very, very handy.

Here is how to use these particular set of commands work with Media Browser:

Note: People will have to edit their own library command/actions because I think that the GUIID will be diferent for everyone.

I am expecting that everyone has at least these two librarys set up

"TV Series" and "Movies"

To call a movie once you are in the library say:

"The Movie Name"

Originally there was the word "Search" infornt of the movie name, but I found that it wasn't necessary.

Once you call a movie name you will be sent to that movie Details page. It looks like this:

Say: "Iron Man 2"

Response: "Iron Man 2"

TO Move from Detail Page to Detail page:

Say: "Search Watchmen" or "Go To atchmen" This will leave the Ironman Detail page and go to Watchmen Detail Page:

Detail Page to Detail Page only works for movies Right Now.

After you have called your TV Series library, simply say:

"TV Series Name"
then: "Season Number"
then:" Episode Numer"

Season Number and Episode Numbers are universal. Perhaps later I'lkl work on Episode Names.

Here is a submission of my Media Browser Custom Commands to add to your CustomCommands.Txt

There will be updates!!

By the way the commands are really messy and are not in alphabetical order so use the "Find..." in notepad to edit and change each movie

Re: Remote and Media Browser 5 years 7 months ago #585

• eddy
  • Administrator
On the talking issue, I forgot to mention that you can also say Stop Talking at any time to tell Amulet to shut up!

Eddy
Time to create page: 0.288 seconds